Conditions of Hiring at Friends Meeting House, Ship Street, Brighton.
1. The name of the building is Friends’ Meeting House; please use this on any publicity relating to your event here.
2. When completing the booking form please include adequate time to set up and clear away after your event here.
3. The hirer shall check in advance that the parts of the premises to be hired and the conditions of hire are suitable for their requirements.
4. Rooms are charged for on an hourly basis. The Quaker Meeting reserves the right to ask for charges to be paid in advance or to ask for a reasonable deposit.
5. Cancellation of a confirmed booking by the hirer must be made in writing and will be charged accordingly.
- With less than 2 weeks notice: Full Cost.
- With 2 – 4 weeks notice: Half Cost.
6. Quakers reserve the right to cancel any event at any time in exceptional circumstances. Any money paid beforehand will be refunded.
7. The use of any part of the premises by the hirer must not interfere with the use of the remainder by Quakers or other users.
8. The hirer, in consultation with a member of staff or other representative of Quakers is responsible for ensuring proper supervision of entry/exit of the building during their event.
Mindful for the safety of people coming into the building and their security Quakers require the hirer to provide adequate stewarding for large events in the Meeting and Lecture Rooms.
9. Quakers shall not be responsible for any injury to, loss or damage to persons or their property during the use of the premises. It is recommended that hirers should ensure that they are properly covered with third party insurance in respect of such liability and any specific cover they may need in respect of their own property or cash during the use of the premises.
10. No nails, screws, drawing pins, tape or staples shall be used on the walls, woodwork, doors or furniture. Posters or placards may only be put up with the agreement of a member of staff or other representative of Quakers in the manner agreed. No sellotape or blutack may be used on painted surfaces.
11. Auctions, raffles and other games of chance are not permitted.
12. No alcohol may be brought into the premises, including the garden.
13. No smoking is allowed in any part of the building.
14. No food or drink may be taken into the main Meeting Room except with the agreement of a member of staff or other representative Quakers.
15. Dogs under control can be brought on to the premises with permission.
16. The hirer shall keep the premises, fabric, furniture, fittings, chattels and equipment in good condition and free from damage and shall take reasonable steps to ensure that damage shall not occur. Great care must be taken to ensure safety in the use of candles or other naked flames. The hirer shall be responsible for any damage occurring and report it without delay.
17. The use of the Meeting House includes toilet facilities.
18. Use of the garden is by agreement and may incur a charge.
19. The hirer is responsible for leaving the rooms used clean, tidy and fully vacated. Any electrical equipment used to be fully turned off.
20. All publicity material must be exhibited in approved legal circumstances. Fly posting is illegal and must not take place.
Finance and Property Committee of
Brighton Quaker Meeting.
Religious Charity Excepted from Registration.
The Religious Society of Friends.
Amended July 2007
Our conviction that there is that of God in everyone leads us to affirm all life and so oppose everything that diminishes it: war, violence, oppression, injustice and materialism. We seek reconciliation, peace and justice as signs of the commonwealth of God.
Brighton Quaker Meeting.